Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Generativity / Performativity / Livness

My SV asked me about the intersection of the captioned words. I think it is really a good question to ask why liveness that is central to my research but not others.

By opening up this blog specifically, I am exploring the relationship between generativity and liveness. The possible theoretical outcome would be: There are some limitation of the term 'generativity' which I think it is not enough. That's why I have such blog to research what is generativity. Either add the notion of live into generativity or generativity is part of liveness.

The other issues is the field that I am targeting. The terms generativity and performativity is widely used in software studies. People tend to grasp what is that means. However, liveness is a term usually used in media performance or performing art. This makes the term difficult to draw connections with audiences. Though the term live coding comes to play in recent years, but it is obvious that means a combination of performance and software coding. That seems make a lot of sense to use the term 'liveness' as the essence of liveness to live coding is the presence of the artist to perform in front of audiences. Again, this is more focusing on the audiences.

I need to rethink the essence of liveness, live data, and possibly that notion of live is related to society. The dynamics of 'living life'  (This likely come from the reading I read yesterday in Art Inquiry - 2012, see reference here: http://www.ceeol.com/aspx/issuedetails.aspx?issueid=736f8cef-3d00-4c15-a321-291695774d29&articleId=655b0f4a-99b0-47d6-a8e6-f922013f4cde) Perhaps is that kind of dimension, correspond to our living life, that makes me so fascinated with those data driven media artworks. (for example vending machine, listening post...) Perhaps, this gives me a direction to look for what is means by network. What is network and how does it related to living?

Another point that I relate is Nick Couldry who talks about liveness is ideologies, representing culture and realities..

I need to identify the characteristics of liveness in network art, such that I can say generativity constituted liveness. Or is that straight forward?


No comments:

Post a Comment